This recipe really needs no intro other than to tell you the following simple facts:
- Eggs are an awesome source of protein for growing toddlers
- Adding veggies and cheese to these egg cups makes it a well-rounded meal/snack, especially if you serve them with these gluten-free sweet potato waffles
- These freeze really well, so it’s extra convenient to have a batch made up ahead of time. Pop them in the microwave for 15-30 seconds and they’re ready to go (probs best to let them cool a bit before serving, though)
- You can literally add any combination of veggies, ensuring it’s something your toddler will indeed eat
- These make an awesome snack for you too, in the event you’ve got nothing else on hand
Phew. Glad we got that out of the way. Now on to the recipe.
STUPID-EASY VEGGIE EGG CUPS FOR TODDLERS
I used peppers and onions for this batch, but like I said before, find which veggies work for you and your toddler. I prefer to have several different combos made up ahead of time so that there’s variety and Ro doesn’t get sick of the same stuff everyday. Persoanlly, Ro loves these combos: peppers and onion, broccoli and cheese, squash and peas, kale and sweet potato.
This recipe also uses a MINI muffin tin. I find that the portions are better that way.
I always prefer to use silicone bakeware because metal can leech into your food and has all kinds of yucky health effects. BUT, my silicone mold was being used for another prep project when I made these, so I just borrowed this tin from my mother-in-law – because one time won’t kill us (hopefully?).
If you don’t have a silicone mini muffin pan, I highly recommend this one.
It’s BPA free and made of 100 percent food-grade silicone, but still super affordable. It’s also a two pack, which helps when you’re making a big batch of stuff ahead of time.
-1/4 cup heavy cream
-1/4 mixed peppers, diced (PRO TIP: make sure you dice these pretty darn small. Yes, they will soften when cooked, but, still want to avoid choking)
-1/4 yellow onion, diced (PRO TIP: make sure you dice these pretty darn small. Yes, they will soften when cooked, but, still want to avoid choking)
-1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1/4 tsp. pepper (feel free to omit this if your kid won’t like it)
-1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375. Use olive oil, butter or cooking spray to grease your mini muffin pan.
Step 2: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and heavy cream. Add the salt and pepper.
Step 3: Carefully pour egg mixture into greased tin. Fill each cup approx. 3/4 full.
Step 4: Add a pinch of peppers and onions to each cup.
Step 5: Add a pinch of cheese to each cup.
Step 6: Using a butter knife, mix the cups so the ingredients are not layered on the top.
Step 7: Bake for 20 minutes.
Step 8: Use a mini spatula to remove cups from tin. It’s pretty likely that you’ll have a lot of egg residue left on the tin (I usually have to put mine through the dishwasher like 4 times before it’s clean). This is where a silicone mini muffin tin would come in super handy.